Designed by architect C. L. Engel in collaboration with professor of astronomy F. W. A. Argelander, the Helsinki Observatory was completed on Tähtitorninmäki Hill in 1834. The Observatory was ahead of its time and served as a model which guided the planning of various observatories around the world for decades.
The Helsinki Observatory was opened in 2012 as the astronomy visitor centre of the Helsinki University Museum. The Observatory’s exhibition gives people of all ages an opportunity to learn about the wonders of space and the history of the Observatory building. The yearly number of visitors is around 15 000.
For additional information: www.observatorio.fi
+358 2 941 24244
Thu 12–20, Fri–Sun 12–16,
Irregular opening hours